WordPress is updated frequently with new features and to fix nagging small issues. But the last update, 4.8.1, has wreaked havoc on many a website. Fortunately, our preferred web hosting company, Network Solutions, takes frequent “snapshots” of hosted websites, allowing customers to restore data back seven days.
So…even though you might be able to recover from disaster, here are a few tips for updating your version of WordPress:
- Update any “plugins” that you actively use on your site. Be sure that the plugin details indicate that it will be compatible with the new version of WordPress.
- Backup, backup, backup! If things get wacky, you will want to restore your website to the same condition it was in before it imploded.
- After a successful update, check those plugins again. You may need to do a little tweaking to be sure they are active and functioning properly.
- Check each major page of your website, i.e., the homepage and the major menu pages.
Running your own website can be fraught with danger! Fortunately, there are New Options consultants ready to help you. If you need a new website, or just need to get out of a jam, give us a call!
From Our Team
- Lost Database is Not Insured
- Does the ADA Apply to Websites?
- The Dangers of Employee Internet Use
- Planning for The Next Big Thing – Home Edition
- Coping With The 2020 Form W-4
- Should You Incorporate Your Business?
- Pay Day’s Coming: Don’t Forget the Sick Leave!
- Buy-Sell Agreements for Small Business
- When Noncompetition Agreements Cross State Lines
- Small Business – Maintaining a Safe Workplace